'Ferry, Wilbur Hugh "Ping", 1910-1995'
Ping Ferry; Wilbur Hugh Ferry; Ferry, Ping; Wilbur Hugh "Ping" Ferry; Wilbur Ferry, Ping
W. H. Ferry, also known as Ping Ferry, was vice-president of the Center for Democratic Institutions at Santa Barbara from 1954-1969. In 1961, Merton first wrote to W. H. Ferry, having been introduced to pamphlets produced by the Center for Democratic Institutions by James Laughlin. This began a dialog between the two that continued through the rest of Merton's life. Ferry first came to visit Gethsemani in November of 1964 for a meeting with the Fellowship of Reconciliation (FOR) and others on peace that was attended by Daniel and Philip Berrigan, A. J. Muste, John Howard Yoder, among others. Ferry drove Merton along the northern California coast as Merton scoped out areas for a possible new hermitage. He was also present to see Merton off when his flight left for Asia. (Source: The Hidden Ground of Love, p. 201.)
This manuscript has no associated subjects.
RESTRICTIONS: Please click here for general restrictions concerning Merton's manuscripts.